Teal Party

It’s a teal party at my place again!

Teal Party

This little triptych was made as part of a sew along AND knit along, aka Outfit Along, co-hosted by the generous Lauren and Andi.  I have broken all the rules but have learnt a lot in the process at this is my first woven dress make for myself and my first knitted garment : ) AND they match.  My bare little head needed some matching bling so I finally knocked up that cloche hat I have been yabbering on about!  I will post more details about the hat in a separate post for you.

Teal Party

Cropped Vest

Pattern: Self drafted, a mix of knit stitched, drop stitches and some ribbing.  

Yarn: 2 balls Patons Gigante 3382

Ease: Simple for a knitter

Tidbits: I started by casting on 25 stitches in the hope that I could turn two rectangles into something to match my dress.  I added in some drop stitches for interest and finished with 4 rows of ribbing. I played with options and decided that the neckline went best with the dress with the two shoulder straps added.  

Lessons: So I have a Miette underway but was a little baffled by all the new terminology and circular needles and felt overwhelmed over the last month (granted I had a pretty good excuse).  I realised that practicing some of the techniques on my familiar 14mm needles might help me conquer the fear.  So I cast on with 25 stitches and knitted up two rectangles with my Knitting Help app open the whole way!  I now feel a lot more comfortable with knitting and am ready to plod along with my Miette!

Teal Party

And finally the dress!  Oh, how I love thee.

Lekala Dress

Pattern: Lekala 4324 with my measurements + wide shoulders and back 

Fabric: Nani Iro double gauze from Shimgraphica

Ease: Medium

Tidbits: I made very few changes to the pattern and was so confident after this shirt that I didn’t even bother doing a test run first.  The most obvious is that I chose some soft pleats instead of the patterned pleats as my other Nani Iro skirt doesn’t hold the pleats well, and is a pain to iron.

Other that all I did was lengthen the sleeves to 3/4 length and nip it in a touch at the waist after I had put the bodice together.  I also skipped the facing and used bias tape turned under instead.   This fabric is so gorgeous to work with I took extra care with all the little things – I used a stretch needle and loosen the tension a little, I french seamed where possible and hand-stitched the neckline, sleeves and hem.  

Lessons: Yes, this is the very first woven dress I have made!  The invisible zip freaked me out a bit and I tried a couple of basting methods (the glue stick).  This time I found hand basting was the trick!  The posts by Lladybird were really helpful to reinforce that I was on the right track.

Score: 5/5 I am swooooning over my new swishy dotty dress.  

Teal PartyWatch this space for details on my hat : ), meanwhile I am headed to check out what all the talented knitters have made for the Outfit Along.