Hickory dickory cloche!
Tidbits: I followed the excellent and detailed instructions (!I know, who does that!?) with the small exception of leaving off the band around the crown and doing the buttons my own way. I used 3 different self covered buttons instead.
The pattern warned against using a spongy fabric but I used this wool and lined the lower brim with a thick spongy interfacing (specifics unknown as I found it in an op shop!) and it worked really well. Just the right amount of stiffness to move the brim up and down. The pleats aren’t as sharp as the they would be in a stiffer fabric but I love them anyways.
Yep, I am silly!
Lessons: The crown came out a little two larger than I expected but looking back at the pattern pictures I think this is intentional. Next time I will probably sew the crown with a larger seam allowance to take it in a touch.
Machine sewing the ribbon on the insides was a hot mess and I ended up hand stitching it in. Next time I want to try sewing the whole thing inside out and flipping it so all the edges are wedged between the shell and lining. The kids hats I have made all use this technique and I like it.
I definitely want to make more of these and plan on knocking some up with remnants of outfits. The pattern is also a good base for customisation. I also like the idea of making some for my local cancer care center.
Score: 4/5 A perfect little hat for my cold noggin