The Jacaranda trees are in full bloom in my hood. Kidlet likens the flowers to purple rain as they constantly flit down and make the most beautiful purple ground coverage. I finally managed to nail the timing and get some good shots of it for you.
Lace Full Moon
Pattern: Full moon from Pattern Magic Stretch altered as per this post for size Fabric: Refashioned this wedding dress, the lining is the top circle, lace is the bottom. Ease: Simple Tidbits: This dress was given to me by my sister who knows I am trying not to buy new this year so that I could make myself an outfit for her upcoming nuptials. At first, I was really stumped as to what to do with the fabric as the skirt wasn’t full enough to go to town. After some chatter and ideas thrown around with friends, my brain locked on the idea of using this pattern to make a lace top, with a slip underneath from the lining. As it turned out I just had enough for half lace/ half solid and I could then use the scraps for two flower girls dresses so we all match. Amazing how little fabric can be in a dress!
I did manage to rescue all the last scraps and knit a head piece/necklace thingy too.
Lessons: Construction was as per my last version of this pattern, essentially two circles, with the exception of adding a band under the lace section. The lace has only a tiny bit of stretch so I find this top sits a little higher than intended, something I will remember to adjust for next time. I also made the arm holes a little smaller so I can wear this without any scars saying hello, on looking at these pics, perhaps I could go a little larger and still be covered.
Score: 4/5 Given that I would never wear lace normally, I think I have managed to make a top that will be quite happy in my wardrobe over summer.
Fabric: 4m of Cotton Silk and Viscose Lining from Potters Textiles. Yes, I bought new. I couldn’t stretch the dress far enough to cover my lower half, and I also had to get making the girls matching dresses.
Green Notes: Yes, I am aware that viscose is a whole load of bad and that the white was probably achieved due to a load of bleach. I am happy with the quality of construction and the fact that I have made a useful piece for my wardrobe instead of a dress that I would never wear again. To lengthen the life of the white, I intend on naturally dyeing these pants in the future and used all vintage cotton threads to ensure that the dye will take.
Tidbits: My invisible zip is actually in factually quite slick, which given the sheer fabric I am quite happy about.
The sheerness of the outer layer meant some careful planning of all the seams. I used french seams on all the main seams, and left the lining seams on the inside. I considered a few options for the hem and the advice was a strong preference towards a rolled hem using my rolled hem foot. I had to practice this quite a bit to get a finish I was happy with. Another option that I learnt about belatedly would be to overlock the edge, stitch right along the top of the overlocked edge and then press under and top stitch down. This option has the advantage of keeping the fraying at bay.
Lessons: I took a wedge out of the back waistband, which is becoming a common alteration for me. I’m annoyed at myself that I did not think to recut the waistband but have adjusted the pattern for next time so I am set then.
Also, whilst I love the finished length, after hanging for a few days and trimming quite a good chunck off to get them even, I think I will add 5cm in length next time.
Score: 4/5 I love the look, feel and swoosh of these. I think these would look cute without lining over short shorts too.
Here are some wonderful Jacaranda for you to ease you into the day..