This lovely fabric was very nearly a complete and utter train wreck. The original plan was to sew some culottes from this Cotton Friend. And sew them I did. The pattern pieces were big enough to fit an elephant inside each leg, WARNING, but I soldiered on. I looked at the elastic waistband lines, WARNING, but I carried on. It was only when I tried on the ginormous fluffy elephant “culottes” that I realised, this is not going to work.
Poor Nani Iro then sat on a bench for a month or so while I pondered what to do. Eventually, I gave myself an ultimatum, sat down and unpicked and came up with a new plan. What about that vintage culottes pattern in my stash, nope, still to flouncy. A skirt, it has to be a skirt.
Pattern: Self Drafted
Fabric: Nani Iro Peaceful Cooing from Shimgraphica. Too flouncy for culottes but perfect for a skirt!
Tidbits: I used a silk ribbon to finish the bottom hem, and a linen as the waistband facing. I added a little too much ease at the waistband the first time I ironed in the pleats, so this took quite a bit of fiddling.
Oppsies: Need more practice at zips. Must watch rest of Craftsy video..
Pattern: Easy, Cut from dress, finish edge.
Fabric: Top of one of my old dresses. Wool blend.
Tidbits: This top is now way more useful to my wardrobe and is ready for outing a plenty!
Me Rating: 4 stars for saving it from the brink
PS – The headband I am wearing is the last remaining artifact from the culottes debacle.